Re: Successful 32-bit built on OSX with only sed, fftw, and gfortran add

From: Richard Campbell
Subject: Re: Successful 32-bit built on OSX with only sed, fftw, and gfortran added to vanilla Snow Leopard
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 20:04:24 -0500

On Jan 28, 2011, at 7:52 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

> On Jan 28, 2011, at 6:47 PM, Richard Campbell wrote:

>>> I'm not confident I understand what you mean.
>>>
>>> Should the build process be ...
>>>
>>>    export CFLAGS="-arch i686 -arch x86_64"
>>>    export FFLAGS="$CFLAGS"
>>>    export LDLAGS="$CFLAGS"
>>>    ./configure --disable-dependency-tracking
>>>    make
>>>    sudo make install
>>>    make clean
>>>    ./configure --enable-float --disable-dependency-tracking
>>>    make
>>>    sudo make install
>>>
>>> Ben
>>>

>> Yes.
>>
>> fftw builds, for some dumb reason, EITHER fftw3 or fftw3f, but only one at a
>> time. I assume most prepackaged versions contain both.
>>
>> Campbell
>
> Ok. Does the result below look ok?
>
>       http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/765b15fd3b3d/README.MacOS
>
> Ben

You should not have to specify F77="/usr/bin/gfortran". Other than that it
looks like what I did.

Again, it may actually be possible to build a minimalist octave without FFTW at
all. I haven't tried, because I need the functionality FFTW provides (both from
within Octave and for other standline C programs). I would perhaps put in a
note about how the instructions for building FFTW should generalize to building
universal binary versions of any and all dependencies which Octave wants to
incorporate.

Campbell