Re: newbie who can't edit

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: newbie who can't edit
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 14:23:31 -0500

On Jan 29, 2011, at 1:06 PM, Vokey, John wrote:

> On 2011-01-29, at 7:48 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:
>
>> On Jan 29, 2011, at 8:09 AM, Sergei Steshenko wrote:

I got that. I'd like to patch Octave so that the freeze doesn't happen.

Does pressing ctrl+c unfreeze Octave and produce an error. If so what does it
say?

To enable the edit function to work you need to choose a ascii editor and tell
Octave about it. To tell Octave to open a file using the app that MacOS
associates with the file use ...

        edit editor "open -e %s"

To specify a specific editor, say mvim, use ...

        edit editor "mvim %s"

The first is handy if you don't have a favorite editor, but it will not open a
file that does not yet exist.

Ben

p.s. be sure to reply-all and respond at the bottom so that those arriving late
can follow along. Thanks