cs-list errors and Ghostscript warning when trying to print

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: cs-list errors and Ghostscript warning when trying to print
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 03:53:26 -0500

On 29-Jan-2011, Richard Campbell wrote:

| In my build of Octave 3.3.54 I get the following during 'make check'
|
| Integrated test scripts:
|
| invalid assignment to cs-list outside multiple assignment.
|
| The build is as described earlier for Mac OSX with minimal dependencies.

I don't see that error.  It may be that it is happening because you
haven't installed all the dependencies, but we try to make the tests
run anyway, just skipping the ones that can't work because of missing
dependencies.  So will you try to debug where it is coming from?
The first set of "Integrated test scripts" that are normally executed
are from the file src/DLD-FUNCTIONS/besselj.cc.  To run them outside
of "make check", please try the following

  ./run-octave
  octave:1> cd /src/tree/directory/src/DLD-FUNTIONS
  octave:2> test besselj.cc

(where /src/tree/directory is wherever your top-level Octave source
tree is) and let us know what happens.

| When I try to print, I get:
|
| octave:2> print('-dpng','test.png')
| warning: print.m: ghostscript not found in EXEC_PATH.
| warning: print.m: Ghostscript binary is not available.
| warning: print.m: epstool binary is not available.
| warning: print.m: fig2dev binary is not available.
| warning: print.m: pstoedit binary is not available.
| error: invalid assignment to cs-list outside multiple assignment.
| error: matrix cannot be indexed with {
| error: evaluating argument list element number 3
| error: called from:
| error:   /Users/campbell/Downloads/octave-3.3.54/scripts/plot/print.m at line
377, column 9

| The Ghostscript warning is confusing because I have libpng installed, and
twice during 'configure' it is stated that

| configure: WARNING: I didn't find ghostscript, but it's only a problem if you
need to reconstruct figures for the manual

I think this message is incorrect now.  Previously, we only used
ghostscript to generate some output formats when building the Octave
documentation.  Now it is used in printing as well, to convert PS to
various formats.

I changed the configure warning to be

  I didn't find ghostscript, so reconstructing figures for the manual
  will fail, and saving graphics in some output formats will fail when
  using Octave