Re: Wrapper dylib to fix OSX libBLAS & libLAPACK with -m64 (Re: 3.5.0+ c

From: Jarno Rajahalme
Subject: Re: Wrapper dylib to fix OSX libBLAS & libLAPACK with -m64 (Re: 3.5.0+ compiled on Mac OSX 10.6.6)
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 08:33:02 +0200

On Jan 31, 2011, at 8:19 , ext Richard Campbell wrote:

>> You need to update the gnulib you are using. This exact bug has been fixed
>> since November 24, 2010 (same problem with GCC 4.2, 4.3, and 4.4):
>>
>> 2010-11-24  Paul Eggert  <address@hidden>
>>
>>      stdint: port to GCC 4.3 + OSX + Octave
>>      On this platform, stdint.h is buggy and defines int64_t to long
>>      long int.  The replacement defined it to long int, causing
>>      problems with C++ style name mangling.  Instead, trust the system
>>      definition if INT64_MAX is defined, and likewise for the unsigned
>>      variant.   Problem reported by Jarno Rajahalme in
>>      <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnulib/2010-04/msg00143.html>.
>>      * lib/stdint.in.h (GL_INT64_T): Define if INT64_MAX is defined,
>>      and don't mess with int64_t and INT64_MAX in this case.
>>      (GL_UINT64_T): Likewise for UINT64_MAX and uint64_t.
>>
>> The procedure is like this:
>>
>> cd <your-octave-source-directory>
>> make distclean
>> cd gnulib
>> git pull
>> cd ..
>> gnulib/gnulib-tool --add-import
>> ./autogen.sh
>> ./configure --prefix=<prefix-where-to-install-octave> <other config options>
>> make -j2 check
>>
>> Jarno
>>

> This is not going to work for me. As per my earlier messages, I am trying to
> do this without any package managers and a minimum of third party
> replacements for the libraries that come installed on every Mac. I am using
> gcc 4.2.1 as released by Apple, and gfortran 4.2.3 as released by AT&T for
> compatibility with Apple's gcc build. There should be a workaround within the
> Octave source.
>
> Campbell

Maybe you have misunderstood the role of gnulib in building Octave? Octave
sources come with the gnulib, and Octave depends on gnulib (as in, does not
compile without it). There are no package managers involved, and this problem
is (=was) in gnulib, not in Octave. That is, there is nothing to fix in Octave
source itself, but in the gnulib sources that are included with the Octave
sources.

Released octave sources should contain the latest gnulib sources, but maybe
that is not the case

Please note that in the procedure above, you "cd gnulib" while *in* your Octave
source directory!

After you update gnulib, and remake, there are no extra libraries to install,
as gnulib is always linked in as a static library.

  Jarno