Re: Generating .info output

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Generating .info output
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 15:53:01 -0500

On 31-Jan-2011, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

| 2011/1/31 Søren Hauberg <address@hidden>:
| > man, 31 01 2011 kl. 14:14 -0600, skrev Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso:
| >> Bit of help, please. How do you easily generate info output?
|
| > Isn't that what the 'makeinfo' program does?
|
| How do  you call it? It's not a matter of just doing "makeinfo *.texi"

Did you look to see how the doc/interpreter/Makefile calls makeinfo?

| I guess I could scrutinise the output of "make install"...
|
| > Anyway, can't you just get the information you need by calling
| > '__builtins__' from inside Octave?
|
| No, I don't mean what Octave thinks a built-in is. If you see the
| orange tokens, I took the meaning of "built-in" to be quite broad to
| mean almost every callable function distributed with core Octave.
|
| This is the actual lexer I wrote:
|
|      http://jordi.platinum.linux.pl/oct-lex.patch

The list of core functions will change over time.

You might also want to take a look a the help>do_list_functions
subfunction in scripts/help/help.m.  That lists pretty much everything
that can be called.  It seems to me that this approach is better than
grepping through the source files.  Plus, you could get the list of
everything that is available in the currently installed version of
Octave rather than some static version that will be out of date before
long.