Re: PCRE library requirement

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: PCRE library requirement
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 17:17:54 -0500

On 31-Jan-2011, Richard Campbell wrote:

| There is no package manager for this operating system, therefore, no
| way to install *-dev. I can easily build and install PCRE from
| source, if necessary, which gives me the required header file.
|
| I am aware of Macports and Fink, third party package managers and
| 'port' systems that have a truly horrifying effect on the operating
| system. OSX has been POSIX for as long as it's existed, and has been
| Single UNIX Specification since 2007, so there shouldn't be any need
| for third party package managers, and Octave certainly shouldn't
| assume they're present. Most projects (including all dependencies
| I've installed so far for Octave) compile on OSX from source without
| any funny business.

Octave does not assume the presence of any package manager to satisfy
its dependencies.  I think Rik might have forgotten that you are using
OS X without a package system, and the typical problem we see when a
library is present but the header files are not is that there is some
missing -dev package.