Re: Web page and new logo

From: Michael Creel
Subject: Re: Web page and new logo
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 16:52:10 +0100

I think that a version should be offered for sale, perhaps with some
value added items like a printed manual, or a sticker for the
windshield (joke). I believe that the GPL allows sale of the software.
If an organization could make me a bill, I could purchase the
software. I'd be more than happy to do that using my research grant,
and I am sure that it's a perfectly justifiable expense. My work
depends on Octave, so there's no reason why my grant shouldn't pay for
it, the same way it pays for commercial software that other members of
the project use. The teaching I do using Octave would probably require
a couple of copies, too.  I'd be very happy to pay 500 euros a copy,
renewing every couple of years, for example. Maybe GNU already has
something in place for this sort of proposition?
Cheers,
Michael