Re: Outerposition Patch

From: logari81
Subject: Re: Outerposition Patch
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 00:25:18 +0100

On Wed, 2011-02-09 at 18:50 +0000, bpabbott wrote:
> On Feb 09, 2011, at 01:26 PM, Konstantinos Poulios
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>

> > At last every piece is in place in order to start implementing the
> > position/outerposition/tightinset synchronization.
> >
> > The attached patch provides a consistent calculation of
> > outerposition
> > when activepositionproperty is set to position.
> >
> > No differences on the graphical output should be expected since the
> > calculation of the outerposition in this case doesn't affect the
> > plot
> > output, _but_ since this patch re-enables the previously disabled
> > sync_positions code, many regressions are expected. It would be very
> > useful to have some testing on this patch before I continue to
> > implement the second half which is the calculation of position when
> > activepositionproperty is set to outerposition.
> >
> > Summing up, this patch does:
> > - position --> outerposition
> > to be done:
> > - outerposition --> position
> >
> > Ben, could you provide some test results or could you give me some
> > information on Søren's script, like where to find it and how to use
> > it?
> >
> > BR
> >
> > Kostas
> >

> I"ve made some modifications to Soren's original
>

> I've also written a script to produce a web page for viewing in your
> browser (also shamelessly plagiarized from Soren's work)
>

> (1) Run dump_demos
>

> > dump_demos plot dump.m png
>

> (2) Run dump.m for each backend. The script will have some syntax
> errors, so you'll have to debug it.
>

> > graphics_toolkit gnuplot
> > close all
> > dump
> > mkdir gnuplot
> > move *.png gnuplot/.
>

> > graphics_toolkit gnuplot
> > close all
> > dump
> > mkdir gnuplot
> > move *.png gnuplot/.
>

> (3) Same for matlab.
>

> (4) Run html_compare
>

> (5) load compare_plots.html in your browser
>

> Ben

thank you for this information.

It seems that the previously attached patch causes problems only with
legends. However, in order to treat legends correctly I need to
understand their logic. How do legends exploit the outerposition and
position properties? Is anyone familiar with legend.m to give me a short
introduction?

Best regards

Kostas