Re: Ubuntu and Debian packaging

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Ubuntu and Debian packaging
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 07:59:37 -0600

2011/2/10 Thomas Weber <address@hidden>:

> Why does anybody think that I'm opposed to Ubuntu? I don't care, one
> way or another.

Well, you certainly aren't in favour of Ubuntu either, and your tone
is very jaded.

Thomas, did you have more than one negative experience interacting
with Ubuntu? I've had several positive ones, ranging from interacting
with my fellow QtOctave packager in Ubuntu, to the recent one
involving the Ubuntu fltk bug. I went to #ubuntu-devel in Freenode
asking for advice on how to handle a bug that wasn't present in
Debian, and amongst several other helpful people, Colin Watson, whom
you probably know as he's a prominent DD, narrowed down the solution
to a fix you committed in Debian. The fix has been transplanted to
Ubuntu:

     https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/octave3.2/+bug/546671

Ubuntu provides many resources for interacting with Debian, and it's
not just another derivative amongst 120; it's the most used
Linux-based distribution surpassing the next one (Fedora) by an order
of magnitude. If nothing else, as a matter of pride, I like knowing
that my Debian packages are being used by the vast majority of users
of a free OS.

> I don't work with Octave and package it to help other people. I started
> doing it because it helped *me* and it was fun. I don't use Octave
> anymore at all and so I continue doing it just because it's fun.

How does that maxim go? There isn't good and bad, only fun and boring? ;-)

All I ask is that you let me forward bug reports from Ubuntu to
Debian. They already *are* being forwarded to the PTS, just not to our
pkg-octave-devel mailing list. Feel free to ignore them if they're not
fun, and they are relatively scarce anyways. I would like to be
notified of them, and perhaps someone else in the Debian Octave Group
would as well (Sébastien, perhaps).

But if I'm on the only one want who wants to know about Ubuntu bugs,
then I'll forward them to myself only.

- Jordi G. H.