Re: gEdit as an Octave gui ?

From: Levente Torok
Subject: Re: gEdit as an Octave gui ?
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 18:49:29 +0100

Hi John,

Basically I wouldn't branch from the original source tree. It would be a constant hassle to sync the the main branch which will be necessary if we want to have access to all the developments done by gEdit (or plugin) developers after the branching. And I guess we would want it.
I don't think that there is anybody who wants to do this job repeatedly.

While, I support the idea that we also develop gEdit to be a better IDE for octave (or c++, etc, gdb!, STL miserable debugging in gdb etc etc), I suspect this is not the right list to talk about.

So while sitting in my chair, not doing much except talking I would assume that the nicest and easiest thing we would be to develop a plugin that converts gEdit to be a octave IDE as much as its plugin API lets it and not touching gEdit source tree at all.

But all this talks are quite hypothetical, if I am not mistaken, since we dont have essential components written
that would enable the engine to be asked for variables from another thread.

How do estimate, would it be a huge code base to develop?
Don't you think that is could be key in the campaign for populating octave?

Lev

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 3:24 PM, John Swensen <address@hidden> wrote:

On Feb 11, 2011, at 2:45 AM, Levente Torok wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Honestly, I fell in love with gEdit in the past year.
> This seems to be a well written editor app and, as for python, it is fairly easy to use along with its plugin-ed terminal window as octave dev environment.
> This is not worse than any other existing version (QtOctave) but it it very nice from the point of plugin capabilities.
> So if someone decides to write an IDE for octave I suggest to have a look at it first and consider writing  a plugin instead (not forgetting the good old pipe problem).
> As I see, even python guys started to write a debugger as a plugin (octave-dev might do the same) and it is available for windows, too.
> As it has a C project plugin I usually use for C coding too.
>
> Lev

gedit is based upon a GTK widget called GtkSourceView.  That is what I have been using for OctaveDE.  It is quite full-featured and already has syntax highlighting for Octave and has additional features not shown in gedit like providing a gutter for putting debugging icons, handling mouseovers of text, and autocompletion (I haven't incorporated mouseovers or autocompletion in the OctaveDE editor).  The only problem with building from scratch with GtkSourceView is that while you get an editor that is integrated with Octave, you have to do a lot of work that is already done in a very complete editor like Gedit.  Maybe starting with the Gedit sources and modifying them for Octave would be more ideal.

John Swensen