Re: Building Octave-3.4.x from source on OSX, reboot

From: Richard Campbell
Subject: Re: Building Octave-3.4.x from source on OSX, reboot
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 14:55:48 -0500

On Feb 12, 2011, at 2:50 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

> On Feb 12, 2011, at 2:46 PM, Richard Campbell wrote:
>
>> I am reformatting a laptop right now so that I can start fresh. We've
>> identified the following dependencies which we believe need to be satisfied,
>> and I'm going to test each of these assumptions.
>>
>> - Xcode (provides gcc which supports OSX-style universal binary executables
>> and libraries)
>> - gfortran (from AT&T, same capabilities as above)
>> - GNU sed, installed to --prefix/usr which overwrites the Apple/BSD/whatever
>> sed was already there
>> - pcre, simply because the version provided with OSX doesn't provide pcre.h,
>> because one particular regex wasn't found, but I think this may have been
>> fixed
>> - flex?
>> - postscript?
>>
>> Campbell
>
> By "postscript", do you mean "ghostscript"?
>
> Also, I recommend you include "gnuplot".
>
> Ben

Thanks, yes, gnuplot should be on the list. Neither ghostscript nor postscript
should be on the list, actually - they weren't required before.

Regarding PCRE: the offending regex is still present, and ./configure still
doesn't require PCRE (it allows you to build, and the error you get is when you
try to print something, and it's a completely non-descriptive error). What
would I need to do to submit a patch changing the behaviour of configure?

Campbell