Re: looking ahead to 3.6

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: looking ahead to 3.6
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 17:02:42 -0500

On Feb 12, 2011, at 4:11 AM, Michael Goffioul wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 8:16 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
>>  * Make a gtk+OpenGL graphics system.  Or use wxWidgets, or
>>    something (anything!) that looks better than FLTK (sorry, FLTK
>>    fans).
>
> I already wrote one, that is part of OctaveDE. It's far from fully featured,
> but it's working fine. It's also asynchronous, the event loop runs in its
> own thread. This has a bunch of consequences in term of communication
> between the backend and octave, but the UI is far more responsive than
> running the event loop synchronously.
>
> Michael.

Michael,
I think we still need to make the switch from gtkglarea to gtkglext, as I am
pretty sure that gtkglarea isn't supported anymore and gtkglext is the
recommended solution.  I made an attempt once, but couldn't get it to work.  We
also need to find a way to let things in DLD-FUNCTIONS have more than one file.
 I really don't want to try and cram the entire GTK backend into a single file.

John