Re: Outerposition Patch

From: logari81
Subject: Re: Outerposition Patch
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 18:05:08 +0100

On Thu, 2011-02-10 at 20:00 +0100, Konstantinos Poulios wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 1:59 PM, Konstantinos Poulios
> <address@hidden> wrote:

> >> You shouldn't try to understand the logic of legend's use of the position
> >> and outerposition properties. It's just a hack that worked with the
> >> existing behavior. If your patch doesn't work well with legend it is
> >> probably legend that needs to be fixed
> >>
> >> D.
> >
> > The attached patch replaces the previous one and implements the
> > calculation of both position and outerposition depending on the value
> > of activepositionproperty.
> >
> > It is not very well tested yet, so there will probably be some issues,
> > e.g. legends will not work, but it brings a feature that maybe is
> > awesome. It is something that Matlab cannot do and maybe you like it.
> > See the following video:
> >
> > http://ubuntuone.com/p/cYM/
> >
> > The position property is calculated dynamically while you rotate the
> > view, so that all labels fit in outerposition. I think it works quite
> > well in order to keep it. What do you think?
> >
> > As this operation involves certain computational overhead, it would be
> > interesting to get some tests on older machines. Unfortunately all
> > pc's that I have access to, are too fast.
> >
> > This patch also fixes http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?31610 for the fltk
> > toolkit.
> >
> > Finally, if we adopt the attached patch we have to adapt legend.m also.
> >
> > BR
> >
> > Kostas
> >

> After some more testing and fixes I think the patch is quite mature in
> the form you find in the attachment. I think it could be checked in.

I have just checked in this changeset along with some further
fixes/improvements. Now, I would like to provide some additional
information and ask for some help with regard to the open issues that I
had listed.

> There are still some general issues with fltk that I will try to sum up:
>
> 1. In some demo plots axes labels seem to be too close to the axes
> (e.g. demo legend 9). Probably in some of the previous changes there
> is something that I have overseen.

Actually after testing older revisions of octave I realized that the
problem is not new. The reason that I hadn't noticed it before is
because the problem appears only in the print output and not in the plot
window. It seems that gl-render and gl2ps position strings differently
considering either the bottom line or the baseline of the string
respectively. It is not difficult to fix, we just have to decide which
of gl-render and gl2ps are we going to fix in order to make both
consistent.

> 2. Legends for barplots don't show colors (this is an old problem).
>
> 3. Some small y axes interference for plotyy (also not new).
>
> 4. Now there is no labels-titles interference in demo subplot 1, so
> there is no need for extra space between the subplots, we can reduce a
> bit the padding (someone which is familiar with subplot.m I suppose).

Waiting for someone familiar with subplot.m

> 5. In demo axis 4, legends are not positioned correctly. I think the
> position of the legend for these cases should rely exclusively on
> position of the parent axes and not on outerposition, but I have not
> tried to implement this. David could you take a look at legend.m?

Waiting for someone familiar with legend.m

> 6. In the attached patch I have removed the following comment from
> sync_positions:
>
>   // FIXME -- this should take font metrics into consideration,
>   // and also the fact that the colorbox leaves the outerposition
>   // alone but alters the position. For now just don't adjust the
>   // positions relative to each other.
>
> I do not understand the part that refers to colorboxes but since I see
> no issues with colorbox demos, I remove it completely. Are there any
> objections?
>
> 7. Subscripts and superscripts are not supported.
>
> 8. For logscale tick labels should always be computed as power of ten.
>
> 9. Arbitrary rotation for text object is supported only on gl2ps, not
> on the screen. This could be fixed.
>

> BR
>
> Kostas

BR