Re: Outerposition Patch

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Outerposition Patch
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 14:03:19 -0500

On Feb 13, 2011, at 12:05 PM, logari81 wrote:

> On Thu, 2011-02-10 at 20:00 +0100, Konstantinos Poulios wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 1:59 PM, Konstantinos Poulios
>> <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> The attached patch replaces the previous one and implements the
>>> calculation of both position and outerposition depending on the value
>>> of activepositionproperty.
>>>
>>> It is not very well tested yet, so there will probably be some issues,
>>> e.g. legends will not work, but it brings a feature that maybe is
>>> awesome. It is something that Matlab cannot do and maybe you like it.
>>> See the following video:
>>>
>>> http://ubuntuone.com/p/cYM/
>>>
>>> The position property is calculated dynamically while you rotate the
>>> view, so that all labels fit in outerposition. I think it works quite
>>> well in order to keep it. What do you think?
>>>
>>> As this operation involves certain computational overhead, it would be
>>> interesting to get some tests on older machines. Unfortunately all
>>> pc's that I have access to, are too fast.
>>>
>>> This patch also fixes http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?31610 for the fltk
>>> toolkit.
>>>
>>> Finally, if we adopt the attached patch we have to adapt legend.m also.
>>>
>>> BR
>>>
>>> Kostas
>>
>> After some more testing and fixes I think the patch is quite mature in
>> the form you find in the attachment. I think it could be checked in.
>>
> I have just checked in this changeset along with some further
> fixes/improvements. Now, I would like to provide some additional
> information and ask for some help with regard to the open issues that I
> had listed.
>
>> There are still some general issues with fltk that I will try to sum up:
>>
>> 1. In some demo plots axes labels seem to be too close to the axes
>> (e.g. demo legend 9). Probably in some of the previous changes there
>> is something that I have overseen.
>>
> Actually after testing older revisions of octave I realized that the
> problem is not new. The reason that I hadn't noticed it before is
> because the problem appears only in the print output and not in the plot
> window. It seems that gl-render and gl2ps position strings differently
> considering either the bottom line or the baseline of the string
> respectively. It is not difficult to fix, we just have to decide which
> of gl-render and gl2ps are we going to fix in order to make both
> consistent.

I suspect the culprit may be that gl2ps requires assumes that the DPI is 72.

Perhaps the font position is correct, but the fontsize is off by 100/72? But is
that due to a bug in gl2ps or a problem with Octave's positioning of text
objects?

>> 2. Legends for barplots don't show colors (this is an old problem).
>>
>> 3. Some small y axes interference for plotyy (also not new).
>>
>> 4. Now there is no labels-titles interference in demo subplot 1, so
>> there is no need for extra space between the subplots, we can reduce a
>> bit the padding (someone which is familiar with subplot.m I suppose).
>>
> Waiting for someone familiar with subplot.m

I'll take a look.

>> 5. In demo axis 4, legends are not positioned correctly. I think the
>> position of the legend for these cases should rely exclusively on
>> position of the parent axes and not on outerposition, but I have not
>> tried to implement this. David could you take a look at legend.m?
>>
> Waiting for someone familiar with legend.m

I experimented a bit. If the titles are removed the legends are placed
correctly (they don't move, but the axis position does). I looks to me like the
problem is on the c++ side. Haven't the axis position values already been
updated to account for the title when the legend is called?

Ben