Re: looking ahead to 3.6

From: some_guy
Subject: Re: looking ahead to 3.6
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 21:16:55 -0800 (PST)

Søren Hauberg wrote:

> man, 14 02 2011 kl. 09:17 -0500, skrev John Swensen:
>
>> I'm not sure about the ease of making an editor, but I'm assuming that
>> is a wash.
>
> Do we really need an editor? Can't we just pick a simple cross-platform
> editor and extend it using plugins (or something like that) ? It would
> be great if there was just some interface that an editor could
> communicate with as that would allow plugins/extensions to be written
> for several editors.
>
> Søren

+1
I don't want to learn a new editor for every program I use. What would help
is to provide a way (like matlab's mlint.exe) to get my editor to understand
what octave returns. This would allow for a plugin to be used with vim or
editor of choice to help with debugging. If an octave-specific editor is
made, I just hope there is a way to start octave without it, like some
"command line only" mode.

I guess anyone can contribute in whatever way they want, but in my list of
things I want Octave to do better, an editor (and whatever GUI that comes
with that) is at the bottom.

On a different note, what if contributors put their mailing address on the
website with a description of their contributions. That way users could vote
with their wallet for features important to them (via check).