Re: Mac OS X build reference?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Mac OS X build reference?
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 13:43:45 -0500

On 16-Feb-2011, fork wrote:

| Can you install the dependencies into their own subdirectories (like
| /opt/pcre-2.32.3, /opt/fftw-xx.yy.zz etc) and then run configure with the
| appropriate switches?  I would like to do it this way so I can delete an
entire
| package and not hunt through /usr/local/bin/* /usr/local/lib/* etc.

Yes, you can install each package in a separate subdirectory, but then
you will probably have to add many -I options to CPPFLAGS and many -L
options to LDFLAGS.  It might be simpler for you create a single
directory for all the packages, like /opt/mystuff and then use
--prefix=/opt/mystuff for each package you install, including Octave.
Then you should only have to do

  configure CPPFLAGS=/opt/mystuff/include LDFLAGS=/opt/mystuff/lib ...

to tell the compiler where to find the header files and libraries that
you have installed.