Re: Usage of "{}" as default fontname for gnuplot

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Usage of "{}" as default fontname for gnuplot
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 08:06:07 -0500

On Feb 17, 2011, at 7:56 AM, Benjamin Lindner wrote:

>> The original report by Michael Godfrey indicates that when using the FLTK
>> backend and the fontname "*", that TeX style exponentiation did not work.
>> There was no problem for the gnuplot backend.
>
> They talked about 'either backend' so I assumed gnuplot was affected as well.
> If it's a fltk-only problem, then the "{}" fix should probably be
> specific for fltk?
>
>> Did you try the examples for the FLTK backend?
>
> With the fltk backend, I don't get any enhanced text processing at
> all. Even with
>   text(0.5,0.5,'\int_0^x e^(-x) dx','fontsize',20, 'interpreter', 'tex')
> The string is shown as literal string (at correct font size & rotation)
>
> I am doing this on the release-3-4-0 tag, though, so perhaps I need to
> abandon it and move to current tip.

Ok. You're seeing the problem that was reported in the bug tracker. If you add
the fontname, then it should work.

        text(0.5,0.5,'\int_0^x e^(-x) dx','fontsize',20, 'fontname',
'Helvetica', 'interpreter', 'tex')

... assuming you have "Helvetica".

We may need to bundle a fsf font with Octave to properly resolved this problem.
There are font's available, but I don't know how this would be done.

Ben