Re: Behavior of scatter.m

From: Robert T. Short
Subject: Re: Behavior of scatter.m
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 15:52:10 -0800

Ok.  A little more noise.  I get lots of

setting font to {},10

messages when plotting using 3.4.

Robert T. Short wrote:
This is for general information. This topic has been discussed before, apparently with no real resolution.

Attached are three loglog plots. The x axis is the number of points in the scatter plot and the y axis is the time it took to create the scatter plot.

The file badnews.pdf is done using octave on a core i7/860 with 32 bit linux and 4G of RAM.

The file goodnews.pdf is done using MATLAB on a core i5/750 with Windows XP and 4G of RAM.

The file bestnews.pdf is done using octave on the i7 machine above, but I used 'plot(x, y, '.')' instead of scatter.

Since the windows and linux machines are pretty different and octave/MATLAB do things differently, it is hard to make reasonable judgments about the absolute numbers, but it is clear that octave scatter performs very badly, and is in fact useless for much over 100 points. In every case I get out of memory errors above 1^6 points. That, at least to me, is not a problem, but I routinely do scatter plots with 10,000 to 100,000 points.

I am looking at octave scatter trying to figure out where things go south so badly, but I am just don't know enough about the plotting stuff to make much headway.

Bob