Re: Outerposition Patch

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Outerposition Patch
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 19:06:41 -0500

On Feb 18, 2011, at 6:35 PM, logari81 wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-02-18 at 22:40 +0100, Konstantinos Poulios wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 6:07 PM, bpabbott <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> On Feb 18, 2011, at 12:02 PM, bpabbott <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Feb 18, 2011, at 11:04 AM, Konstantinos Poulios <address@hidden>
>>> wrote:

>>> Hmm, I have a suggestion. Since I thought that the implementation of
>>> sync_position for single plots (not subplots) is compatible with ML,
>>> and you are saying that it isn't, this should be the first issue to
>>> fix. Could you provide me with an example of a single plot that
>>> demonstrates the difference between ML and Octave?
>>>
>>> As soon as I fix this we can come back to subplot again and continue
>>> our discussion.
>>>
>>> BR
>>>
>>> Kostas
>>>
>>> First example is for activeposition == "position"
>>> figure (1)
>>> clf
>>> set (gca, 'position', [0 0 1 1], 'activepositionproperty', 'outerposition')
>>> plot (0:1,0:1)
>>> axis ([0 1 0 1])
>>> outerposition = get (gca, 'outerposition')
>>> I've attached the result from Matlab.  The outerposition from Matlab is
>>> outerposition =   -0.1677   -0.1350    1.2903    1.2270
>>> Octave's result does not grow the outerposition.
>>> outerposition =   0   0   1   1
>>
>> ouuuuups!!! I introduced this bug in 98772e4e8a2a. It used to work
>> correctly before. I have just pushed the fix, so it should be ok
>> again.
>>
>>> If this example so that activeposition == "outerposition" ...
>>> figure (1)
>>> clf
>>> set (gca, 'position', [0 0 1 1], 'activepositionproperty', 'outerposition')
>>> set (gca, 'outerposition', [0 0 1 1])
>>> plot (0:1,0:1)
>>> axis ([0 1 0 1])
>>> … then I see that the default axis position is restored. This does behave in
>>> the manner you're suggesting, but it is not described by the documentation.
>>> http://www.mathworks.com/help/techdoc/creating_plots/f1-32495.html
>>> This behavior is new to me (wasn't there when I examined this a few years
>>> back). So it appears I owe you an apology for the back-n-forth.
>>> I did a quick google, and found that someone else named "Ben" had figured
>>> out what is happening.
>>> http://undocumentedmatlab.com/blog/tag/outerposition/
>>> Rather than minmargins, may I suggest you use "looseinset" as Matlab does?
>>> For the subplots, the looseinset may be set to some reasonable value by the
>>> subplot.m function.
>>> Ben
>>>

>>> Same article, but this time a direct link
>>> http://undocumentedmatlab.com/blog/axes-looseinset-property/
>>> Ben
>>
>> I am working on looseinset now. It shouldn't take long to implement.
>>
>> BR
>>
>> Kostas
>
> Hi Ben,
>
> in the attached changeset you can find a first implementation of
> looseinset. The sync_position function relies now on looseinset instead
> of default_axes_position.
>
> Known limitations: looseinset remains always in normalized units (since
> it is a hidden property I see no need to support other kinds of units)
>
> Please test this patch and send me any comments.
>
> BR
>
> Kostas
> <looseinset-1a.changeset>

For consistency, how difficult is it to implement the units conversion? ... or
maybe a more proper question is; Is there a reason that units conversion is
prohibitive?

In the meantime, I'll do some testing with your changeset.

Ben