Re: State of JIT compiler

From: Michael Creel
Subject: Re: State of JIT compiler
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 09:49:24 +0100

> I'd argue it's a showstopper for inexperienced MATLAB users. I've yet
> to see code that couldn't be rewritten cleanly and absolutely needed
> JIT for efficiency.

How about drawing a long simulation from y(t) = a*y(t-1)+u(t)? This is
much faster done in C++ rather than in Octave, and stuff like this is
also much faster on Matlab (in my very limited experience - I like
Octave much better overall, so I haven't used Matlab much). JIT for
Octave would be a nice thing to have, I think. It would eliminate much
of the need to splice in C++ code for bottlenecks caused by
unavoidable loops. I thinks it's a goal to keep on the list.

Michael