Fedora packaging of Octave

From: Michael D Godfrey
Subject: Fedora packaging of Octave
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 12:27:27 -0800

Jussi,

I noticed that you are very usefully providing Fedora
RPM's in the Fedora release system.  I asked John Eaton
if he was in contact with you, but he relied that he was
not.  Specifically he said:

In any case, I would like it if people who packaged Octave for various
systems participated more or at least introduced themselves to us.  I
think they should see themselves as part of the Octave community, not
separate from it.

jwe

Aside from suggesting that you at least sort of "introduce
yourself,"  there has been recent discussion on the octave-maintainers
list about scheduling of Octave releases.  This should obviously be
of interest to you.  Have you been following any of this?

My main suggestion on this thread has been more prompt, and regularly
scheduled, releases, citing Fedora as a good example.  This would
help you to plan ahead for packaging.

Incidentally, do you follow the Octave bug tracker:
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=octave

Or, do you report bugs that are reported on the Fedora tracker back
to the Octave tracker?  The current Octave tracker is relatively new,
and seems to be functioning better than the old one!  I speculate
that you found the recent HDF5 fix on the Octave tracker. Is this
correct?

In any case, thanks for your efforts to provide Octave under Fedora.
(I and quite a few others in our lab at Stanford are both Fedora and
Octave users.)

Best,
Michael