Re: Required version level of Fortran compiler?

From: Thomas Weber
Subject: Re: Required version level of Fortran compiler?
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 22:36:04 +0100

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 12:41:36PM -0600, Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso wrote:
> On 25 February 2011 12:22, Rik <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Does Octave now require Fortran versions above f77?
>
> On that note, does f2c work anymore? The FAQ, which I am in the
> process of proofreading, says that f2c can be used, but we've been
> seeing people having problems with it on Debian. I'm tempted to change
> that line to mention f77 at the very least.

http://wiki.debian.org/GfortranTransition
"However, code must not link at the same time against -lg2c and
-lgfortran".

If you use f77, you are using the f2c ABI. gfortran has a different ABI,
so when mixing the two, you are up for all sorts of funny behaviour (aka
segfaults).

If you want to use f77, you have to compile *every* Fortran library with
it, including re-compiling the libraries shipped with the OS.

        Thomas