Patch for GLPK 4.36+

From: Tommaso Balercia
Subject: Patch for GLPK 4.36+
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 13:37:11 +0100

Dear All,

please find attached a patch for Octave 3.4 to level up to the
capabilities of GLPK 4.36+. Anything that can be done with MATLAB +
GLPKMEX 2.10 can now be done with Octave too (indeed I fixed also some
shortcomings that GLPKMEX 2.10 still has). The patch is just a tarball
to extract in the root directory of sources. Two files will be
replaced:

src/DLD-FUNCTIONS/__glpk__.cc
scripts/optimization/glpk.m

All the new additions are document and add smoothly to the Tex
documentation. I checked the behavior of the tool with some sets of
binary problems and everything seems to work fine. Error conditions
also exit gracefully. The interior point method works fine (this was
broken in GLPKMEX 2.9). If you notice something not behaving properly,
let me know by posting it on the mailing list (possibly adding the
optimization problem too, so I can reproduce the problem here).

One important remark: at least GLPK 4.36 (released in 2009) is needed
to compile the CPP file successfully. At first, I coded this condition
directly in __glpk__.cc, but, after some consideration, I would really
recommend to fix this in configure.ac. Simply if the GLPK version is
below 4.36, just disable it (the code still checks for HAVE_GLPK).

I didn't venture into changing configure.ac myself, but the test to
check this is straightforward

// BEGIN TEST

#include <glpk.h>

int main()
{
 int result = 0;

 if (GLP_MAJOR_VERSION < 4)
 {
  result = 1;
 }
 else
 {
  if(GLP_MINOR_VERSION < 36)
  {
   result = 1;
  }
 }

 return result;
}

// END_TEST

and can be easily performed with AC_RUN_IFELSE. If somebody could add
this, I'd appreciate it.

Kind regards,

Tommaso