octave-3.4.0 with arpack bundled

From: Rafael Goncalves Martins
Subject: octave-3.4.0 with arpack bundled
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 21:07:39 -0300

Hi guys,

I'm one of the maintainers of Octave on Gentoo Linux.

As a source-based linux distribution, we have some concerns about
software shipped with bundled libraries. Jordi said to me at #octave
that your guys are bundling arpack because it's unmaintained, but we
think that would be better if you guys start maintaining arpack
without just ship it with octave, because other people using arpack
would benefit from your patches and we wouldn't need to patch octave's
build system to use arpack from the system.

Any thoughts?

Best regards,

--
Rafael Goncalves Martins