Re: Intro

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: Intro
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2011 12:28:09 +0100

Hi and Welcome!

tir, 08 03 2011 kl. 20:56 -0800, skrev Jim Curry:

> I'm a good programmer in C/C++.  I'm mostly interested in numerical
> computations, but can do what's necessary.  Usually I am producing
> quick and dirty software to get answers quickly, verify them, and get
> on.  So, lots of my code isn't tight---although I can make it tight.
>

> I am entirely new to the free software world.  It seems that it might
> be possible for me to contribute something useful to Octave, but I'm
> entirely new.  I don't know what is being done and what is currently
> on the back burner.  I was going to give some logarithm and
> exponential functions to MPF?, but they seem to have some
> already---don't actually need more.
>

> If you might suggest a starting point, I would be happy to go away and
> slog some code until I had something to give you---for free, of
> course.
>

> If you don't need any help, I understand.

We always need more help improving Octave. It seems like every time we
improve something, we also raise peoples expectations, meaning they get
more disappointed (or at least yell louder). So your help would be
valued!

Regarding what to contribute, we have a (kinda boring) standard answer:
what would you like to work on? You can find an entire list of
suggestions at

  http://wiki.octave.org/wiki.pl?Projects

but if you have other ideas, then they are most likely also very
welcome. If you have an idea on what to contribute, then tell us on this
list. That way others can provide input early on, which makes your
contribution more likely to get accepted. I should warn you: sometimes
discussions here can seem a bit pedantic, but that's because we have to
maintain a lot of code, so we need to get it in a good shape from day
one.

Good luck :-)
Søren