Re: octave-3.4.0 with arpack bundled

From: Rafael Goncalves Martins
Subject: Re: octave-3.4.0 with arpack bundled
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 20:18:39 -0300

2011/3/10 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden>:
> On 8 March 2011 18:07, Rafael Goncalves Martins
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> As a source-based linux distribution, we have some concerns about
>> software shipped with bundled libraries. Jordi said to me at #octave
>> that your guys are bundling arpack because it's unmaintained, but we
>> think that would be better if you guys start maintaining arpack
>> without just ship it with octave, because other people using arpack
>> would benefit from your patches and we wouldn't need to patch octave's
>> build system to use arpack from the system.
>
> I originally suggested to Rafael to bring up this issue on the dev
> mailing list, because he said that the Gentoo maintainer of ARPACK was
> actually giving it upstream maintenance. So the bug that Octave
> patched in ARPACK when it decided to ship it was, AIUI, also being
> patched in Gentoo. So Gentoo doesn't want to give up its version of
> ARPACK, unbundled the version in Octave, and that's what they're
> using.

Actually we're using patches from Debian and from octave's hg
repository, so we're not directly doing upstream maintenance at all.
But the fact is that we have a working version of ARPACK, and some
important stuff using arpack as well, see below:

sci-chemistry/apbs
sci-libs/punc
sci-libs/scipy
sci-mathematics/freemat
sci-mathematics/octave

Our intention is really to remove the directory
octave-3.4.0/libcruft/arpack and patch the build system to use our
ARPACK.

Regards,

--
Rafael Goncalves Martins