Recording which patches are for the stable release

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Recording which patches are for the stable release
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 08:01:18 -0600

Are there any suggestions on how to mark which patches ought to be
transplanted to the stable branch? The delay between applying a patch
on the default branch to transplanting it to stable can be long enough
to forget which patches close bugs on the stable branch. I think we've
sort of unofficially been recording the bug number of the bug that is
being closed by  patches on the default branch. Should we make that
the official method? If so, should we uniformise the syntax for
closing bugs in the ChangeLogs or hg commit messages? I'm thinking of
adopting Debian's syntax that simply looks like this: (closes:
#NNNNNN).

Thoughts?

Thanks,
- Jordi G. H.