Re: [OctDev] is memory leak of figure

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: [OctDev] is memory leak of figure
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 20:53:31 -0500

On 03/30/2011 08:45 PM, welkin zzp wrote:
Hi,
      When I close a figure window, I observed that the gnuplot and
gnuplot_x11 processes were always in the system,but didn't work, until
quit octave . I didn't known if it's a memory leak ,but I have to
frequently quit octave after having close few figure windows. The
version of octave is 3.4.0 on ubuntu systerm.

Welkin,

This topic might be more appropriate for the maintainers list, so I'm cc'ing there.

From what I recall, Octave currently launches a separate instance of gnuplot for each figure. (Because gnuplot only saves the data/state for the most current plot.) But I'm not sure if what you describe is the intended behavior or not, i.e., that gnuplot hangs around in case Octave needs to use it again. If not, perhaps you could give a more detailed description with examples. Maybe the behavior can be improved.

Dan