Damaged hg repo? Where did the tags go?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Damaged hg repo? Where did the tags go?
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 13:31:56 -0400

On  3-Apr-2011, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

| Something weird is going on. If you look at the tags in .hgtags:
|
|      http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/6ef23b4a3402/.hgtags
|
| And you compare them to the history of .hgtags, you'll see a bunch of
| tags are missing. I can't even seem to show this on the web interface,
| but on my clone, "hg log .hgtags" brings up tags like release-3-0-1
| that aren't in .hgtags and mentions changesets that don't exist. I
| noticed this around Thursday last week or so. Does someone have an
| older clone that doesn't exhibit this problem?

If I run "hg tags" on my local archive, I get the tags listed in
.hgtags plus tags for release-3-4-0, ss-3-3-92, ss-3-3-91, and
ss-3-3-90.  Looking at http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/tags
shows these additional tags as well.  I don't know why .hgtags is
incomplete.  They are not in my local copy of .hgtags either, even
though the output of "hg tags" shows them.  Did something change with
the way Mercurial stores tags now that makes the .hgtags file
obsolete?