Re: Promising new Qt GUI

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Promising new Qt GUI
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 20:40:11 +0200

2011/4/6 John Swensen <address@hidden>:
> Even though I haven't posted much lately, I have been making progress on a QT
> solution with a full terminal emulator.  I took the Konsole sources and using
> qtermwidget as an example ripped out everything that made it KDE dependent.
> You can find a screenshot of the current state at
> http://imgur.com/tUxrE
>
> Just yesterday I incorporated the octave_server class that used for the old
> GTK+ octavede for interacting with Octave itself and now it is a matter of
> implementing the Model-View-Controller for each of the subpanels (history,
> variables, file browser, editor) using the octave_server class as the model
> portion.
>
> I suppose I should get a branch up on Sourceforge for the QT version of
> OctaveDE so others can take a look.

I've not been communicating that much either, but I've been working
on the Windows counterpart of this. The main issue is the terminal emulation
concept, which does not exist in Windows.

One way to work around that
is by using normal pipes (what I've done with libvte), but the main drawback
is that the running application does not see a real tty (as in istty()
returns 0).
Hacking qtermwidget would result in the same problem.

The other approach is the one taken by Console2. That's what I've done
recently: extract the relevant code from Console2, wrap it with a QWidget
and use the resulting "QConsole" component in a Qt app to run octave in
a separate thread. I think this method is better than running octave over
pipes.

Michael.