Re: Successfully merged projects

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Successfully merged projects
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 00:13:54 -0500

On 10 April 2011 23:19, John Swensen <address@hidden> wrote:
> I can start working off you GitHub project
> exclusively (now I have to learn git, despite my best efforts to
> avoid it ;)).
[snip]
> I guess in the long run if this [GUI] ever gets incorporated back
> into the main Octave source tree

As I was telling Jacob earlier today in IRC, I don't think it's too
early to start thinking about how to place this in the Octave source
tree (perhaps under a gui/ directory from the top), in particular with
regards to the VCS (hg) and the build system. We should figure out
how to tie it in with autotools and decide how it should be built,
whether to stay with qmake, or use CMake, or autotools itself, but I
expect building Qt with autotools will be quite a challenge,
considering KDE's decision a while ago to migrate from it to CMake.

In fact, it's probably a good idea to think about this earlier rather
than later. As the project grows, it is likely to get more and more
tied to whatever build system you've chosen, so that if we ever decide
we need a different one, the switch will be more difficult to make.
Remember that portability is an important goal, so it should be
possible to "easily" build on as many platforms as autotools supports.

Oh, and it should just be called "Octave". ;-)

- Jordi G. H.