Re: Successfully merged projects

From: Richard Crozier
Subject: Re: Successfully merged projects
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 14:13:57 -0700 (PDT)

John W. Eaton wrote:

> I'm not saying use Emacs as the GUI.
>
> I meant that people often say that Emacs is somehow hard to use.  I
> don't understand that, since if you start Emacs and start typing,
> characters appear in the text window.  How hard is that?  Arrow keys
> work for moving text around.  You can select regions with the mouse,
> etc.  Some of the keybindings are not familiar to people used to
> Windows editing commands, but those are configurable.  So I'm just
> saying that if you popped up Emacs with the right keybindings and
> window decoration, they would wouldn't have any problem using Emacs.
>
> jwe

I think you are certainly implying that emacs has all the functionality that
anyone might require from a proposed GUI? Or alternatively, that all that is
desireable is the abilities you then specify, in which case surely pico
would suffice.

Can you really highlight some text or select it or whatever happens in emacs
and have that text sent to a running octave process as a command and view
the output? It's not obvious from the 'Using-Octave-Mode' page in the manual
that this is possible. If I was certain I could do these things I might put
in the effort to learn how to use emacs, but there isn't even a screenshot.
The emacs section in the manual seems to be designed for people who already
know how to use emacs to a high degree of proficiency, not for people who
want an octave editor.

If you really can do all these things, perhaps all that is really required
here is a better tutorial for using Octave in emacs rather than a GUI, and I
am not being sarcastic here.