Re: Successfully merged projects

From: Jacob Dawid
Subject: Re: Successfully merged projects
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 12:46:22 +0200

2011/4/14 John Swensen <address@hidden>

On Apr 14, 2011, at 4:11 AM, Jacob Dawid wrote:

> John,
>
> Would it be okay for you to introduce shortcuts to switch between terminal and editor fast?

I did as you suggested and forked to try making all the panels a QDockWidget derivative.  I also am nearing completion of a QDockWidget with a QScintilla2 widget inside of it.  I will send you a pull request once I have this completed.

Having to switch between the command window and the editor is problematic.  I will give a scenario.  Let's say I had either placed a breakpoint or a call to keyboard in my code to stop at a point where I think I have a bug (or other problems). While execution is suspended at that point, I want to query variable sizes, try a few manipulations on the variables (e.g. eigenvalues, eigenvectors, SVD,etc.).  It is much easier to see the entire chunk of problematic code and start trying analysis on subsets of the problematic code if both the editor and the command window are visible simultaneously.

I can't guarantee it, but if you questioned people who use a command terminal + their favorite editor for Octave, I would bet that they arrange their windows so that the terminal and their editor do not overlap.

John

Please remember to include the full platform-independent source of the QScintilla2 widget in the repository. You may place it in a subfolder or similar, but the project itself must have all dependencies except octave and Qt included, so it compiles completely.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.

Whitespace - the most ink saving programming language: http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/whitespace/index.php .