Re: Integrating Quint into the Octave sources

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Integrating Quint into the Octave sources
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 13:02:44 -0400

On 18-Apr-2011, Jacob Dawid wrote:

|     Another organizational point is that you currently have all the Qt
|     code in gui.  I think maybe it should be in gui/qt instead, since we
|     may eventually have another GUI based on a different toolkit.  Longer
|     term, it seems to me that it would be nice to abstract as much of the
|     interface as possible so as to make it easier to swap out the toolkit
|     later if that is needed.
|

| Qt is not a GUI toolkit. The GUI toolkit is just a part of Qt, along with the
| Networking, Scripting, Xml, Core, Plugin (platform-independent handling of
| shared libraries) and plenty of other modules. I think your message was based
| on the thought that Qt is just a GUI toolkit, but in fact it is not. See a
full
| list of Qt modules here: http://doc.qt.nokia.com/latest/modules.html . It
would
| be quite strange to have Qt available and exclude wide parts of it
| simultaneously. Also, switching to another GUI toolkit can be considered as a
| step back. Qt is GPL, so there is nothing to fear from.

There could be other reasons besides licensing to switch to another
graphical toolkit, or to offer another one as an alternative when
running Octave.  As far as I know, Qt is not a "standard" with
multiple implementations (for example, in the way that the STL is) so
I think it makes sense to consider the possibility that something else
might come along that we would be interested in using.  I'd prefer to
not make it more difficult than necessary to switch to something else
in the future.