cleaning up the top-level directory

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: cleaning up the top-level directory
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 17:33:03 -0400

We currently have a large number of files in the top-level directory.

Are there any objections to the following changes?

  * move all of the following to a new directory called etc:

      CHECKLIST  HACKING  NEWS.1  NEWS.2  NEWS.3  OLD-ChangeLogs
      PROJECTS  README.Cygwin  README.devel  README.ftp  README.gnuplot
      README.kpathsea  README.Linux  README.MacOS  README.MinGW
      README.mirrors  README.snapshots  README.Windows  gdbinit

  * move acinclude.m4 to the m4 subdirectory

  * move all of the following to a new build-aux subdirectory:

      bootstrap  bootstrap.conf  changelog.tmpl  common.mk
      config.guess  config.sub  diff-template
      missing  mkinstalldirs  mk-opts.pl  move-if-change

  * move all of the following to the src subdirectory:

      mkoctfile.cc.in  mkoctfile.in  octave-config.cc.in  octave-config.in

  * delete octave-sh (I think this is obsolete)

  * modify README to tell people where to find the HACKING file,
    system-specific README files, etc.

Then we should be left with only the following files and
subdirectories in the top-level
directory:

  autogen.sh  build-aux  COPYING  doc  etc  examples  libcruft  libgnu
  liboctave  m4  Makefile.am  NEWS  README run-octave.in  scripts  src  test

plus in the tar file distributions we will have a few additional
generated files like AUTHORS and ChangeLog.  Maybe this will make it
easier for people to figure out what to do after they download the
Octave sources as there will be only one obvious README file to look
at and no confusion about bootstrap vs autogen.sh.

Comments?

If there aren't any objections, I'll make this change in a few days.