Re: Separation into dock widgets

From: Jacob Dawid
Subject: Re: Separation into dock widgets
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 11:23:57 +0200

2011/4/29 Michael Goffioul <address@hidden>
On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 10:50 AM, Jacob Dawid
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I wrote about that here:
>
>> [...] but DockWidgets are not intended by design what they should do in
>> this case, they rather act as toolbars around the central widget (it is
>> possible to "hack" it by assigning an empty central widget and not allowing
>> them to overlap, but that's is not working well for all situations).

Could you be more specific about what's not working well?
Can't the problems be worked around?

The root problem is that you trying to use a solution that it is not designed for the problem. From these there are several other issues, for example you only get that separate and flexible window solution by trading off some other things, like deactivating overlapping for all subwindows. Further, you can't place windows anywhere - there is no central window anymore. Subwindows will always divide the space and fill it out.

> Please do not judge that by merely saying shortcuts are a bad thing before
> trying out how comfortable this is, we're not average Windows users :). In
> fact, there are also arguments against having a terminal window and the
> editor side-by-side, like wasting screen space for example. Let's recall,
> what are the benefits?

Debugging. When debugging code, having the terminal window and the
source code is important. This is just my opinion, but I think I'm not the
only.

Michael.

Excuse me that question, but I don't know much about Debugging in Octave. How do you debug code? Do you run it command by command from the editor? I mean, usually you mark some breakpoints, run it, so the focus switches to the terminal until it reaches some breakpoint, you stop and switch back to the editor. Or is it different?

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.

Whitespace - the most ink saving programming language: http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/whitespace/index.php .