Re: Passing LDFLAGS to configure.

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Passing LDFLAGS to configure.
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 09:49:09 -0500

2011/5/9 John W. Eaton <address@hidden>:
> On  9-May-2011, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>
> | I was trying to use LDFLAGS='-pg' in the configure script so that I
> | could use gprof, but I couldn't figure it out and ended up using oprof
> | instead. It looks like the configure script is simply ignoring that
> | environment variable. Is there another I should use? I didn't see one
> | in the help docstring.
>
> I just tried
>
>  configure LDFLAGS=-pg
>
> and
>
>  LDFLAGS = -pg
>
> was inserted in the top-level Makefile.  Does this not work for you,
> or is LDFLAGS not used properly when compiling Octave?

Uh. I think it is working. I just read more carefully the make output,
and it does use -pg when linking.

So I must be doing something else wrong, because gmon.out always is
empty when I run this version of Octave compiled with gprof support.

An unrelated question, does it make sense to pass -O2 to gfortran? I
recall this actually changed semantics and didn't really optimise
correctly, is that right?

- Jordi G. H.