Re: Why warning on configure --enable-openmp ?

From: Jussi Lehtola
Subject: Re: Why warning on configure --enable-openmp ?
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 21:09:24 +0300

On Wed, 4 May 2011 09:41:03 -0400
"John W. Eaton" <address@hidden> wrote:
> The --enable-openmp configure option just checks for a compiler flag
> and libraries.  I don't think anything else was ever done with it.
> Unless someone wants to take on the task of making this actually do
> something useful, then maybe it should just be removed?

Yes, this would at least explain why I couldn't find any OpenMP stuff
in the source code.

OpenMP parallellization is pretty simple to implement if you're
satisfied with a moderate speedup, but getting it to scale more than
90% is pretty hard even in simple cases.

Of course, parallellization only makes sense in those functions that
are actually CPU bound.
--
Jussi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor