OctConf?

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: OctConf?
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 11:22:31 -0500

I think we could benefit a lot from some face-to-face interaction,
have some dedicated coding sprints and talk in general about the
direction Octave should be taking. I therefore propose we have an
Octave conference. The last one was in 2006 and one of its major
achievements was implementation of sparse matrices:

     http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/meetings/2006/

I notice that back then there was talk of building a GUI for Octave,
and this goal is still just as relevant today, except nowadays we
actually have good work in that direction.

Naturally of course the first question is where. I think most
developers and users are concentrated in the US and western Europe. If
there is any traction for this idea, I can offer my native Mexico City
as a location, with probable support from UNAM, our national
university, for a venue. Lodging would be quite cheap here, but there
is of course the problem that it's far from almost everyone.

What do you guys think? Can we make this happen, in Mexico City or elsewhere?

- Jordi G. H.