Re: First plans on a profiler

From: Daniel Kraft
Subject: Re: First plans on a profiler
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 16:33:24 +0200

Hi John,

On 05/25/11 16:15, John Swensen wrote:
Isn't the profiler going to essentially be a modified tree_walker/executer?

first regarding the singleton discussion, I think both making it a singleton and not doing so are possible options (for me) -- and it seems to me that it shouldn't be too hard to convert if we later want to have multiple profilers available sometime.

Regarding your statement above: I don't yet know tree_walkers or executors in octave, but as I understand it, the profiler class will rather be just the one that keeps track of all the data and relates it to the call-tree or at least list of functions; and finally later returns the profile-data in some "useful" fashion. The integration with tree-execution will be such that the ordinary execution routines check a flag and if we're profiling make some calls to the profiler-class to tell it when a particular function enters/exits and the like.

Yours,
Daniel

--
http://www.pro-vegan.info/