Re: printing two touching, side-by-side plots leaves space between them

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: printing two touching, side-by-side plots leaves space between them
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 12:28:41 -0400

On May 27, 2011, at 11:51 AM, Martin Senator wrote:
> On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 03:02:10PM -0400, Ben Abbott wrote:

>>> Ben,
>>> The original bug was on Octave 3.2.2.
>>>
>>> I downloaded and built Octave 3.4.0,
>>> the current stable version.
>>> It also has the bug.
>>>
>>> Is downloading and building the developer's source
>>> that doesn't have the bug the same order of complexity
>>> to an unsophisticated user like me?
>>> If so, what 'developer's version' do I look for?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Martin
>>
>> I verified that the bug it not fixed in Octave 3.4.0.
>>
>> However it has been fixed in the 3.4.x branch. You can download either the
>> stable and default branch by following the instructions at the link below.
>>
>>      http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/download.html
>>
>> Be sure to scroll down to the "Development Sources" section. Once you have
>> the sources you'll need to run "./autogen.sh" from the source directory and
>> then do the same as for 3.4
>>
>> Ben
>
> Ben,
> I am having a problem with building the development sources.
>
> I installed `mercurial' and ran the `hg clone ...' command,
> which ran to completion.  Then I changed to a newly formed
> subdirectory, $ cd octave ;
> then I ran $ ./autogen.sh ;
> it ran ./bootstrap, which reported that one of glibtoolize
> or libtoolize is required.
> I then installed gnulib and ran ./autogen.sh again.
> This time ./bootstrap required `git'.
> I installed git-core and ran ./autogen.sh again.
> This time the last message I received was
> ./bootstrap: getting gnulib files...
> Initialized empty Git repository in
> /home/ms/octave/oct-dev/octave/gnulib/.git/
> [on the next line just the cursor]
> and the process stalled.  Doing a 'ps afxw' command
> (in another window)
> I saw that ./autogen.sh had status S+ and was the parent of
> ./bootstrap, which also had status S+ and was the parent of
> git clone --depth 2 git://git.sv.gnu.org/gnulib gnulib,
> which also had status S+ and was the parent of two processes:
> an exact copy of itself (with status S+) and
> git index-pack --stdin -v --fixthin --keep=fresh-pack 20536 on senator2
> (20536 was the process id of its parent).
>
> The first time it hung, the subdirectory gnulib/.git existed and, with
> its subdirectories, was empty (I am almost sure).
> The two subsequent times (I tried again twice) no subdirectory gnulib
> existed.
> While it was hung, I tried ping'ing git.sv.gnu.org,
> and had success.
>
> What should I do next?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Martin

As there are others who are more knowledgeable than I on the details of
building Octave, I've cc'd the maintainers list.

Any chance you behind a firewall that is blocking port 9418?

If so you can try http cloning ...

        https://github.com/blog/92-http-cloning

The less than obvious syntax to get this to work (h/t to Jarno) is ...

        git clone http://git.savannah.gnu.org/r/gnulib.git

You can place the gnulib sources anywhere you like, and then point configure to
it by setting the GNULIB_SRCDIR variable. For a bash shell, I set the variable
prior to running configure.

        export GNULIB_SRCDIR="/Users/bpabbott/Development/git/gnulib"

If port blocking isn't the problem, then I'm in over my head.

Ben