Re: Performance issues on Windows, suggests a MSVC build

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Performance issues on Windows, suggests a MSVC build
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 17:49:28 +0100

2011/6/22 Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso <address@hidden>:
> I don't understand this. Are you suggesting that any binary compiled
> with VC++ would need to distribute the VC++ runtime and this is
> forbidden by VC++'s license?

No, you can get VC++ runtime libs for free from the MS download site.

> Since you're still compiling with MSVC, what issues are you running
> into?

Most issues are template-related. Jaroslav has template-ified significant
parts of the code (and I don't question that, that's an impressive job),
but unfortunately this broke compilation under MSVC, because of its
lack of support for the more advanced techniques that were used.
I'm not going to repeat the issues here, you should be able to find
them by searching through the mailing list.

> We stick fairly close to the ISO C++ standard in general, don't
> we? Are we relying too much on GNU extensions that gcc uses?

I didn't say that. The problem is on the MSVC side. But GCC has
a much faster release cycle than MSVC (~ 3 years) and it's also
probably more ISO C++ compliant.

Michael.