Re: Performance issues on Windows, suggests a MSVC build

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Performance issues on Windows, suggests a MSVC build
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 18:26:47 -0400

On 22-Jun-2011, Michael Goffioul wrote:

| I'm not willing to discuss the GPL, but I failed (and still fail) to see
| the benefit for the end user of being allowed to link to a library, but
| not to bundle it.

You have no disagreement from me on that point.

As for the MSVC runtime libraries, it is a strange type of "System
Component" that is not normally distributed as part of the system.
OTOH, is that aspect of it (not being installed by default) really
that much different from things like libstdc++ on GNU/Linux systems?
As far as I know, that is not included by default with most
distributions, but pulled in later as a dependency.  So if someone
were motivated to do so, it seems they could build an Octave binary
linked with MSVC runtime libraries and have the user install the
necessary system components in order to properly install it.