Re: Performance issues on Windows, suggests a MSVC build

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Performance issues on Windows, suggests a MSVC build
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 18:52:48 -0400

On 22-Jun-2011, Michael Goffioul wrote:

| Indeed. With one difference, though: in the installer I provided, the
| bundling allowed to install a fully working octave without administrator
| rights, as a simple user; while using the MS VC++ runtime dll redistributable
| installer, you need administrator rights.

OK, I didn't understand that part.  But why is it possible for your
installer to do something as an ordinary user without administrator
rights that can't be done separately outside of the Octave binary
installer, say with a separate installer that just installs the
MSVC runtime library?  I still agree that it does not make much sense
to force this arbitrary separation.  Or does the MSVC runtime library
license not allow this kind of redistribution?  I have no idea why it
would forbid it while at the same time Microsoft is apparently
encouraging users to redistribute the library as part of applications,
but with licenses I guess anything is possible.