Re: Octave 3.4.2-rc2 release candidate available for ftp

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Octave 3.4.2-rc2 release candidate available for ftp
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 15:59:40 -0400

On 23-Jun-2011, Robert T. Short wrote:

| I built this (from mercurial sources) on a debian stable system.  Not
| surprisingly it built, passed all the tests, and installed no problem.
| It also passed all my own builtin tests and I will run other tests over
| the next few days.
|
| Note that the revision still says 3.4.1.

Where?  The octave-3.4.2-rc2 tarball should unpack into a directory
with that name, and when I start it, it shows me

  GNU Octave, version 3.4.2-rc2

and I see

  octave:1> version
  ans = 3.4.2-rc2

| John, I don't know if this is of any interest but I built a little
| mercurial extension that performs some simple release management.  It is
| pretty trivial, but I have found it useful for some of my own stuff.
| Basically, you just tag a release (or release candidate) and when you type
|  > hg release
| it displays the most recent release on the standard out:
| 3.4.1rc1
| If there have been changes since the release it shows the release plus
| the tip revision:
|  > hg release
| 3.4.1 rc1[756ad555]
|
| If there is any interest at all, I can share it - and then fix all the
| bugs you find.

OK.  Mostly, I forget to do things like add tags and update the web
site completely.  But tags can be added later, and the web site is not
critical to the release.  I think I just need a better checklist and
to remember to follow it.