Re: Performance issues on Windows, suggests a MSVC build

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Performance issues on Windows, suggests a MSVC build
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 12:51:31 -0400

On 24-Jun-2011, Philip Nienhuis wrote:

| (1) Facilitate easy setup of a build environment, if possible along the
| lines of the current MingW installers.
|     Given MingW's dynamics, standardizing on some snapshot and updating
| annually or so might be handy

So now the Octave project is responsible for fixing the problems
associated with setting up MinGW?

| (2) Somehow share prebuilt dependencies (compiled libraries, patched include
| stuff, etc).
|     Octave-forge?

And now we are also responsible for making some kind of package system
(or something) so that it is easier to build dependencies on Windows
systems?

| Perhaps someone can even zip & upload his/her complete MingW build
| environment + dependencies, including some instructions for path settings
| etc.

So who is supposed to do that?  Are those of us who don't use and
don't even like Windows supposed to be the ones to do it?

| John W. Eaton <jwe <at> octave.org> Wed Jun 22 16:06:28 CDT 2011 writes:
|
| > Windows binary that should be sufficient to get competent programmers
| > started and it has been downloaded a fairly large number of times, yet
| > I'm still waiting to see the Windows programmers contributing.
|
| ?
| No offense taken, but e.g., most of what I contributed came from Octave
| under Windows (but is applicable to any OS). Windows is where I use Octave
| the most often.
| And I guess you overlooked octave-forge contributors? A number of them do
| their development work on Windows as well.
| But perhaps I've misunderstood what you wrote.

I was talking about people who are actually working on the core of
Octave itself, for Windows, not just writing .m files with Octave
running on Windows.