Testing MinGW Octave-3.4.2 binaries

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Testing MinGW Octave-3.4.2 binaries
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 23:13:13 +0200

Tatsuro,

Last week I've done a fair amount of work with your Octave-3.4.2-MinGW binary. I'm quite happy with it, it works good, and it is faster than the 3.2.4 MinGW binary I've been using up till now.

But IMO it might still be too unstable for building a binary installer package out of it - see below.

The few issues I found so far are these:

1. "clear all" leads to a complete crash. For a split second "segmentation violation" is shown before all traces of Octave are gone. I think thus bug has been there already since the Octave-3.2.4-MinGW or even Octave-3.2.3-MinGW binaries by Benjamin Lindner.

2. A Matlab script, made by a colleague, that I'm porting to Octave creates 34 pictures. On some PC's, using fltk, doing "close all" leads to a similar crash as 1. (above) By closing manually, or by repeated "close" commands, one plot window after the other, the crash occurs after 10-20 plots have been closed. If needed I can supply the script. An octave-core file is generated but I can't do much with it. While the script may be wrong (though it works OK with gnuplot), Octave shouldn't crash that hard.

3. With that script, again on some PCs only, using fltk, titles appear only on the first plot. Using gnuplot all plots get the proper titles.

4. Again, on some PCs only, text output in fltk pics is gibberish.
May be due to lacking fonts - I haven't had time to investigate. Gnuplot plots are fine.

5. The bug I reported earlier (edit.m complaining about "unrecognized \P \O sequences") is a bit of a showstopper. Even when the EDITOR command echoes the full path to the editor program with double backslashes, edit <file> still complains (again, on some PCs only...).

Issue 1. is already known (though I couldn't spot the bug entry).

I'm a bit reluctant about entering bug tracker entries for issues 2-4 as not all of these are fully repeatable on all PCs I tested on.

Issue #5 has already been reported.

Philip