Re: Issues & questions building Octave-3.4.2 MinGW

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: Issues & questions building Octave-3.4.2 MinGW
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 09:05:33 +0900 (JST)

Hello

--- On Sun, 2011/7/10, Philip Nienhuis  wrote:

> Hi Tatsuro:
>
> Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > --- On Sun, 2011/7/10, Philip Nienhuis  wrote:
> > .
> >> I also found a number of "gpnewlib" entries (=>  gplibs) and stray
> >> include dirs starting with "/projetos/gcc/ming/..."
> >>
> >> <snip>
> >
> > Oops!  I have missed them when I renamed the directory for gnuplot.
> > I will check it and modify them and upload corrected library archives.
>
> Are you sure a new upload is really needed?
>
> First, Octave does get built OK in spite of these "wrong" path settings.
> The only issue is that tons and tons of libtool messages are generated during
> "make" about "lib<blah-blah> seems to be moved" - AFAICS unnecessary and even
> annoying as the configure script has found those libs anyway and Octave
> passes almost all tests.
>
> Second, your path settings are only valid if people install your build
> environment at exactly the same location as where you have put them.
> I didn't do that - C:\ is my system partition and I never do development work
> there - the "conftest error" (see below) is a fine example why. So some
> people need to adapt (all these) path settings all the same.

OK, I will correct them for myself.  If  really update the dependency
libraries, I will update them.
Thanks for your suggestion.
> As to the tests, the three unexpected FAILs are in:
> - imread.m
> "imread: invalid image file: Magick++ exception: Magick: Unable to access
> configuration file (magic.mgk) reported by magick/blob.c:1830
> (GetConfigureBlob)"

Hmmm. I have never seen this error.

> - data.cc
> where NaN / NaNi are returned rather than the expected Inf / Infi.

Perhaps, this problem has been known from octave 3.0.
The treatments of NaN on MinGW-gcc seems to be different from those on other
plat forms.

> My pleasure. While trying to adapt a few things I'm slowly getting to
> understand bit by bit what you have accomplished and how the whole stuff
> sticks together. I knew, and can confirm, that it must have been a lot of
> work.
> Thank *you* again for sharing the results.
>
> Do you also have a description of how you have set up the Octave-3.4.2
> directory (the "binary") itself?

I did not make documentation for my work adding dll files etcs. in addition to
stuffs installed by make install-strip.
I will consider make a note for this work.
Please wait a while.

> >> Indeed, it happens when configure tests if rename manages hard links.
> >> I'll file a bug report for this.
>
> Done.
I have confirmed that you have registered the issue on the bug tracker.
I made cc. of the mail to me if someone commit this issue.

> Me too. This situation is fairly discouraging - not only for developers:
> my 8-yr old daughter has a hard time understanding why she has to wait half
> an hour before she can use the computer after I'm done :-)

Logically it is possible to correct this check for MinGW platform as you wrote
in the bug tracker.  I hope the developers will accept your proposal
"Or could a configure option "--enable-MinGW" or so be added to avoid this
test? "

For the convenience those who will read this mail, I will write the address of
this issue on the bug tracker

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?33736

Regards

Tatsuro