Re: [Patch] FIrst experimental profiler

From: Daniel Kraft
Subject: Re: [Patch] FIrst experimental profiler
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 06:27:51 +0200

Hi Jordi,

On 07/13/11 02:03, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> 2011/6/30 Daniel Kraft <address@hidden>:
>
>> luckily, my holidays are drawing nearer -- and finally I have some
>> more time as before already. Attached is my current working code for
>> the first experimental profiler.
>
> I'm sorry it's taken me so long to look into this. I've been out of
> town with sparse internet access and just got home last night.

no problem!  I know you're not working on Octave full-time, so I can't
expect you to have arbitrary time.  That's fully ok, and I worked on a
half-finished .m interface in the mean time.

> I tried to apply your patch, but it appears to be attached to a cset
> that is not in Savannah. Do you have cset
> fcdd244799c4ed9969dda351bb0bb79976252a09 ?

Honestly, I have no clue.

> If so, is *that* cset's
> parent in Savannah? If not, can you provide the missing intermediate
> cset or rebase your changes relative to Savannah? The easiest way to
> rebase is with the mq extension (WARNING: this rewrites history, i.e.
> potentially deletes data if you're not careful, which is why it's
> disabled by default [1]):
>
>     #Move your changes to a patch
>     hg qimport -r $rev_number_of_your_cset -n temp_patch
>
>     #Unapply the patch with the changes
>     hg qpop
>
>     #Get the latest changes
>     hg pull $savannah_url
>     hg up default
>
>     #Reapply your patch, now based at the latest cset in Savannah
>     hg qpush
>
>     #Turn your patch back into an commit in history
>     hg qfinish temp_patch

I tried to do this, and it seemed to work -- attached is the new patch.
 I hope that it works this time and I didn't mess up creating it;
although it looks good at a quick glance over the diff.

> Your changes apply if I apply them as an ordinary patch foregoing
> Mercurial, but I want to make sure that what you submitted is indeed
> the changes you want before I start reviewing them. I don't want to
> start the work only to later realise that you missed a small but
> crucial detail in the cset that hg is missing.

I don't think I had any other changes in there -- so the ordinary patch
should also be ok; but I hope this one works better.

> Also, Google wants us to do midterm reports on our progress. We only
> have two days, so we definitely should mention this patch and evaluate
> your progress with it.

I've got no idea what Google really wants from the mentors, but I think
it is more a general kind of questions; so basically whether I'm still
working on the project or dropped out.  But feel free to mention
everything which seems important to you! :)

> [1] I know this is a common and frequent occurrence in git with which
> you are familiar, but hg makes a point of being safe by default, and
> the community ethos is to not recommend unsafe practices to other
> people without at least saying they're unsafe. It's a bit paranoid,
> but it's better than losing data due to learners' mistakes.

Well, I'm also not really that familiar with git; what I personally use
is mostly SVN (I know ... centralized CVSes seem to be "out" already
some time).  But I hope that I can still use it so far as I have to. ;)

Yours,
Daniel

- --
- --
Done:  Arc-Bar-Cav-Kni-Ran-Rog-Sam-Tou-Val-Wiz
To go: Hea-Mon-Pri