Re: [Patch] FIrst experimental profiler

From: Daniel Kraft
Subject: Re: [Patch] FIrst experimental profiler
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 09:36:42 +0200

Hi Jordi,

On 07/14/11 08:31, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> 2011/6/30 Daniel Kraft <address@hidden>:
>> Attached is my current working code for the first experimental
>> profiler.
>
> I have pushed your code on the default branch, along with the
> following minor stylistic fixes:

thanks!  To summarize, the stylistic changes you made were:

  * Return variables are called ratval.

  * Only warn about ignoring extra arguments.

  * Call print_usage() otherwise for missing arguments and the like.

Right?  Ok, then I'll try to follow those conventions in the future.

> I briefly tested your code, and it seems to work. Looks like a solid
> initial implementation. Can you quickly mimic the Matlab interface to
> profiling? I think this should be quick and should not take longer
> than a week. The next step I'd like to see after that is to produce
> hierarchical profiling output and to also count operators in the
> profiling output.

Yes, I also think that it should be possible to do the Matlab interface
soon.  It contains some more fields than is currently available
(especially the list of parent/child functions), but I can either ignore
those for now or implement missing bits which seem easy (those lists
don't look like a "real" hierarchical output and I think should be
straight-forward to implement).

And I agree that after that, we should think about real hierarchical
output.  I like the idea by Andy Wingo and Paolo Bonzini that we might
output data in gprof or callgrind format so that we can reuse that tools
- -- at least as an option; so maybe I'll look at this more closely.  BTW,
does Matlab support hierarchical output with a "standard" interface?  I
don't remember I read about this when looking up "profile".

With count operators you mean profiling per line or "just" to count the
number of statements executed alongside the time?

Yours,
Daniel

- --
- --
Done:  Arc-Bar-Cav-Kni-Ran-Rog-Sam-Tou-Val-Wiz
To go: Hea-Mon-Pri